It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Why do we feel *physical* pain? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've been curious why it's the one feeling we all dislike... It's just your brain revicing a warning of injury *i think* But even when no injury risk is present, you still may feel it. life would be much better without pain, but far more dangerous, as we would take some "little cut"and just let it get infected.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It's so our brains can fix it. That's why people with leprosy (sp?) can't fix themselves, their brains don't know they're hurt.

I think.

But yeah, it'd be better without it. It's also weird how sometimes it's worse than others. I mean, your brain will know anyway. >_>

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:36 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
Dude, I've been thinking of the answer to this question for a long time. and I refuse to let a mere "feeling" cause me discomfort. therefore I can control my pain to small extent.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:45 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Its called a "Nervous System," most people with them feel physical pain (mental is subjective).

Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i want whatever the guy who said 'emotional pain is far worse than physical' was smoking.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

ShinyHunter07 wrote:

But yeah, it'd be better without it.

No.

Pain is the body's way of telling you to get away from whatever is damaging tissue. ;[

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I know that. ;o

But I meant it'd be better if that could happen without physical pain.

But I guess life would be weird without pain.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:56 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah, if we didn't feel pain in the first place, we'd be all living dangerous lives thinking we were all immortal or something along the lines. Our bodies wouldn't take it if exposed to too much; being cut, being fried or burned, for example.

It's a defence mechanism of sorts, to help us survive in the long run.

In some cases, to Kasey's post; emotional pain, to so many of my friends, is worse.

Last edited by Crunchy on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:49 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

immortal* , a lot of us are immoral, even with pain.

emotional pain is far worse than physical pain, physical pain I can take, emotional pain I cannot. that's why emo kids cut themselves, to try and generate a pain worse than the pain they feel inside. I'm slightly emo, but I don't injure myself. it's gross.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:15 am
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

For every excruciatingly severe pain there is an equally excruciating, intoxicating pleasure. :wink:
Without pain, there can be no pleasure; this applies to physical pain as well as emotional and mental.
So, in a way, pain's kinda' worth it.

And, on a more random note, there are those who find pain pleasurable. *ahem*

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:37 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

mmm...

pain is there cause it is.
ya, vague, but it isthere. why wonder about it?

And if you ask me, I think emotional pain can be much much worsethan physical pain.
Depending on the causes, it can hurt more, and last much longer than physical pain.

Cutters cut in order to release their emotions/get attention.
I suggest writing poetry, painting, photograghy and composing as alternatives to such a violent way of release.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sparrow wrote:
ShinyHunter07 wrote:

But yeah, it'd be better without it.

No.

Pain is the body's way of telling you to get away from whatever is damaging tissue. ;[

This and the person who answered that we have a nervous system are the two most accurate answers. If we didn't feel pain, then we wouldn't know something wrong is happening to our bodies. Imagine if you randomly stepped on a burning forest and you couldn't feel the fire burning through your skin. Sure, you can't feel it, but that doesn't mean it's not burning through your skin.

Life without physical pain would be hard.

Emotional pain, on the other hand, sucks and it does this all the time. It should stop. Unfortunately, emotional pain is necessary, too. Without it, we'd essentially be zombies who only have one emotion. We'd basically be emotionally numb.

Pain doesn't always equal dislike, btw. Lol. Sometimes I laugh when I get a cut. In fact, I got a random bruise overnight last week and I would keep touching my bruise and laugh because it felt funny.

Yes, I know I'm weird.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well, if we didn't, we could've accidently cut off a finger instead of having a wound on the finger by stopping ourselves before it's too late.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:47 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

A long time ago, on a planet not so far away, life was actually a struggle for survival. Animals that didn't have any way to associate certain events (i.e. fighting) with 'Bad' died and those who did learned how to avoid danger and survived. The end.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:08 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

If we didn't feel pain, we'd be lepers.
*pok*

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:06 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

it warns you of possible harm that might have been done.

For example, would you rather know if you had been bitten by a snake so that something could be done about it.

or if you are about to get sick and get a stomachache, you would rather know so you could avoid throwing up on someone else.

so even though pain can be annoying, it could be worse not know that something is wrong and suffering for it.

it also applies to other things such as a fever is a defense against disease. While it is unpleasant, it could be worse

want to trade?

0646 1156 7995 FC

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:22 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

When a human comes into the world, he knows nothing, therefor he fears nothing pain is a mechanism that teaches the living thing that this is bad, stay away.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:46 am
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

If you didn't feel pain you would never know something was wrong. Imagine if you had internal injuries but couldn't feel pain. You'd be ruined.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:42 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Pain is a response from the skin (which is an organ...weird) to the brain that is telling them that the body is in danger from an external (or internal) threat. This would cause the body to take action and hopefully escape. This is a basic attribute, and it was developed because we may not understand what a threat is ourselves. At least I think so. Oh, and I also think that "Pain" is a more heavily compact version of "Feel," the more the merrier isn't the case here :|

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i agree with ddm. i just had a major spinal surgery and the pain was awful. but i had to keep moving, for fear i would never heal. now ive got this gaping hole in my neck where the glue had come undone(yes, they glued it. no stitches). i couldnt feel it because of the numbness where they had sliced nerve endings. they will heal too...i hope. now i have no idea if it is infected or not because i feel no pain. a scab wont form for some weird reason... {espeon}

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If you're also talking about emotional pain. I think that if it didn't exist, there would be nothing to contrast against love, which would just be taken as standard and nothing special.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:15 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

there also is another kind of pain... the kind when brandon screams and whines all day in my first period class. *shudder* it makes my ears bleed.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Pain is recognized by raw dendrites on neurons, for all of you bio buffs out there. The electric signal (Na+ ions) travels to the next neuron thanks to the axon terminal and transporter proteins which can be inhibited by pain killers. As to why such a biological device exists: simple. Based on Max Brook's theories, without pain,we would not know that something is physically wrong with us and the problem would increase until severe damage. There are some children born without raw dendrites and thus cannot feel pain. They must wear protective goggles because at young ages, they gouge their eyes, not feeling the pain that should be telling them to stop.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Pain is not a happy thing but is neccesary for survival. It let's you know when something needs healing or we would just be walking arond with broken legs thinking we're our fine. I see what you mean though, my big left toe has been killing me for about a month -_- This thread is coincidencial, since my parents our doctors.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Hmm... yes pain can be extremely annoying. Especially stomach aches during dinner or snacktime. However, it is very nessecary. Like many others who said this before me, we need pain in order to send us a message that we need healing. However, there are still strange mysteries about pain. Some actors (usually Asain, no offense) purposely put themselves in harm's way (spike beds, fire, etc.). However, they look as if they took no pain at all. Although they usually don't reveal their secrets, some people say they go into a trauma like state before the performance to cancel out the pain. Perhaps, if you don't enjoy pain, you can go into a trauma like state, although it may be inconvienent.

Another painful case was a woman who was hiking. As she was hiking she fell, and hit the ground from about 20 feet high, maybe higher. She fainted for a bit, then got up. She broke many bones in many places and was bleeding all over; yet she was painless. Supposedly she was in so much pain that the brain knew that she would know she was in pain (complicated, but read it carefully and you'll see.) When she was laid on a cot and felt a bit better, the brain thought that she wouldn't notice anymore, and the pain came rushing back. So, if you want to avoid pain, break almost all your bones and bleed like crazy. Then again, that's even more inconvienent.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]