It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Labels 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ahh I hate labels so much >_< It really like what the hell when I just walk to school and I get called a emo or a goth or something :/
Does anyone on here feel the same??

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:42 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
I'm way too friendly to be labeled, I'm friends with everyone.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's a vicious cycle. Unfortunately, it's how our brains operate: we find two similar things, and we class them and anything like them together. It's a handy shortcut so that we know to run away from every cave bear, instead of assuming that this one might be friendlier than the last one. Or, in a socially-reinforced post-Neolithic twist, to grab our swords and kill every patrol from Citystate Neighborland, since they're not bringing us presents if they've decided to violate our borders. And that puts our brain into a mode to look for the bad in those we've labeled, which reinforces our label, and turns the cycle another notch.

We've got such a strong concept of "other", and ever since agriculture forced us to settle down and defend a square of land from all comers, we've placed that "other" label on anyone who doesn't fit our neat little group. Stationary society depends on compartmentalization as a survival method. And it doesn't help when there are such strong religious distinctions in societies with an Abrahamic history. It's a lot easier to shove someone into a box rather than take it on a case-by-case if you don't have faith that the person you're putting down has been and will be your father and mother and child.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
Nida wrote:
It's a vicious cycle. Unfortunately, it's how our brains operate: we find two similar things, and we class them and anything like them together. It's a handy shortcut so that we know to run away from every cave bear, instead of assuming that this one might be friendlier than the last one. Or, in a socially-reinforced post-Neolithic twist, to grab our swords and kill every patrol from Citystate Neighborland, since they're not bringing us presents if they've decided to violate our borders. And that puts our brain into a mode to look for the bad in those we've labeled, which reinforces our label, and turns the cycle another notch.

We've got such a strong concept of "other", and ever since agriculture forced us to settle down and defend a square of land from all comers, we've placed that "other" label on anyone who doesn't fit our neat little group. Stationary society depends on compartmentalization as a survival method. And it doesn't help when there are such strong religious distinctions in societies with an Abrahamic history. It's a lot easier to shove someone into a box rather than take it on a case-by-case if you don't have faith that the person you're putting down has been and will be your father and mother and child.

I absolutely agree. but where I come from there isn't that much labeling between students, mabye between the jordanians and the iraqies.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:27 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Zombie wrote:
I absolutely agree. but where I come from there isn't that much labeling between students, mabye between the jordanians and the iraqies.

Good point, one I was remiss to not address; allow me to amend. Religious and cultural compartmentalization is also more common in relatively homogenous and/or static communities. I assume you're from somewhere in the crescent, or at the very least west of Iran; if so, that's the bleeding crossroads of history, and it could hardly be called homogenous or static. A very diverse and shifting population learned to get along with each other quite admirably long before white Americans were busy throwing racial slurs at Italian and Irish immigrants.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:51 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i dont mind my lable infact i kinda like it i am know as a metal head ! :twisted:

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:14 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Surprisingly nobody calls me nerd (I guess I'm not as nerdy as I think), but because of the fact that people think I'm really depressed, they think I'm goth. Also, people make fun of me because I hardly show any emotion. (Hmm, maybe I am goth??).

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:05 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

As far as I know, a lot of people hate me for rumours spread 4+ years ago.

But I'm labelled as emo / nerd. =/

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:19 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: On a little blue marble called Earth rolling through the playground known as the Solar System.
I have gone through quite a fiew labels in my life. From second grade back, I don't remember anyone having labels. In third grade I moved and became the new kid for that year. Then I went to another school in the same general area in fourth grade, becoming the new kid yet again. By fifth grade that label was replaced by becoming annoying to everyone that wasn't my friend, (which was quite a lot of kids seeing as I didn't have time to make many friends, and my class looped). And now I am known as nerd, and I have labeled my self outcast, which I'm very fine with.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:30 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

I am similar to XRader

I have been called Geek, Both, Fat Tw*t, Posh Tw*t, Regular Tw*t and many more

But I don't care what people think about me.

Maybe I am on the chubby side but 70 years Happy, 80 years Misrable!

I LIKE IT TO MUCH HERE

I'M BACK WELL TECHNICALLY I DID NOT LEAVE SO I AM NOW NOT LEAVING

Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:03 pm
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

lol at least I know im not the only one ^^

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i try to give myself one label everywhere i frequent, including psypoke. i don't know if this is what you think of me as, but my self label is:

Weird but helpful

anyone think that?

want to trade?

0646 1156 7995 FC

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Now lately everyone in school is calling me goth/emo :( . When I walk to my locker between classes I hear something like "Hey emo" or "Yo goth guy". Then my response is usually "whatever". Plus, last night I scratched my arm on my bed by accident and everyone in school thought I cut myself on purpose so that influenced my emo label even more :O.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:25 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

The only people that call me 'nerd' do it only because they know I take it as the highest of compliments. I tend to stay on most everyone's good side, so people don't go out of their way to insult me.

As for labeling others...well, we all undeniably make some connotations in our head, being slight or absolutely definitive. I just try to ignore these thoughts if I am to interact with the person or people in question, until I can form connotations from individual experience.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

'hay kc r u emo'

'no'

'bs u r too emo i mean just look at ur hair u probly cut urself at nite too'

cutting is retarded, and if my hair reminded people of any label, i would think it'd be scene.

labels r 4 soop cans lololo

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Valentine wrote:
labels r 4 soop cans lololo

Amen.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:59 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

pokemon ranger wrote:
Now lately everyone in school is calling me goth/emo :( . When I walk to my locker between classes I hear something like "Hey emo" or "Yo goth guy". Then my response is usually "whatever". Plus, last night I scratched my arm on my bed by accident and everyone in school thought I cut myself on purpose so that influenced my emo label even more :O.

i hate it when people just automaticaly assume something just because of appearances. it's like assuming that a red, black, and yellow striped snake is always a deadly coral snake, when in reality, it could just be a harmless milk snake or scarlet kingsnake. it drives me crazy when people do that :frustrated: :frustrated: .

but, then it can sometimes be amusing. i sit with with a friend at lunch that i've had for 3 years. people sometimes ask if we are siblings because our hair color matches among other things. i have no idea why they think that since my friend is about a foot taller than i am and we don't even have that much i common in the ways of heritage. so we just laugh when someone asks.

want to trade?

0646 1156 7995 FC

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:27 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I hang around the biggest goth/emo/or whatever they want to label him, if you came across him, that's what you would think. Wears black, vests, baggy pants, long curly hair, looks like Jesus, beard and all, chains dangle from his pockets, wears skeleton gloves and cuffs... But in reality, he's the biggest sweetheart and he's nice as. Every one of his friends couldn't hate him if you tried, and he has loads. He's my best friend, too.

Appearances mean nothing. Never take to heart what people/strangers call you.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:31 am
I need to shut the **** up

Huh, I hate it when people label you cause of your hair colour, as in
Quote:
OOOOH, you're such a BLONDE!!!
What is a blonde?? I mean, okay, "blondes are dumb" (heh, heh, I LOVE that saying) but I know several blondes who, to tell you the truth are EXTREMELY intelligent. And then there's that
Quote:
OOOOH, you're such a MALTESER!!!!
Like, brown outside, blonde inside. Ugh!! What is the deal with labeling all blondes as bimbos?? 2 of my BFs are blonde and boy oh boy, they are anything BUT bimbos. And then there's the thing about how gingers are all supposed to be freaking nerds who wear tweed, have their hair slicked back, and have glasses, braces and a super - posh accent. :frustrated: I'm a ginger, and although I am slightly posh at times and most teachers like me because of the "excellent work" I produce, I am not a nerd, I HATE tweed, my teeth are fine, my hair never even goes near gel, and my eyesight is perfect.
Ugh. People these days.
{dragonite} Chingling {chingling}

OMG! Ender at the End Shop is AMAZING!!! Visit it now: End Shop!!

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:55 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

yeah, im a blonde, and im not half as dumb as i look, even if my sister thinks otherwise... :shock:

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

this is my sister talking:

i think that lps is cool. i have 86 of them. :frustrated: :censored: :frustrated: {squirtle} {charmander} {venusaur}

god she's dumb!! :frustrated:

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

definitely, since double posting isn't dumb, since you know it's against the rules, totally

and i think you should've totally put bulbasaur instead of venusaur since it's totally the starters.

my label is drunk. bulbasaur ftw!!

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

ricabrightfox wrote:
yeah, im a blonde, and im not half as dumb as i look, even if my sister thinks otherwise... :shock:

yeah, i know her sister and, personally, i think her sister is the one who get an IQ test :lol: :lol: :lol:

wouldn't you agree ricabrightfox :wink:

want to trade?

0646 1156 7995 FC

Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

exactly. im at your house fight now, ddm. you better watch your back... :mrgreen:

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

labels = anti-?

back in public school, one of my close friends labeled me a nobody. :/
now that i'm in a 'furry' community, people might label me that.
i labeled myself, with the help of a friend, "crazy-eccentric rat lady".

i'm kinda tired of that "no labels i'm just me" thing, but it's true. i don't believe in labels. a good portion of them - the ones that're used to bring people down and stuff - are just used by other people to make themselves feel better/superior.
i don't wanna say what people call me anymore, haha. it's not exactly pg13. but let's just say, it's a n00by insult toward someone who took the time to read the rules of a website.
if that made sense.
yay.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next