It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Retro? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Anyone have any clue why old things are so incredibly awesome? I'm one of those weird people who'd rather listen to a record player than a new CD. Occasionally I'll catch myself watching Boomerang (Network with alot of old cartoons for those who don't know) instead of the mindless stuff on Cartoon Network. I probably play with my Super NES more than I do with my Wii. Now I don't understand why this stuff just doesn't seem to get old. Is it that it's so old it can't get any older? :lol:

DS127 says:
*facepalm*

Fluffy says:
Explorers of Darkness too

DS127 says:
*double facepalm*

Fluffy says:
Oh and Digimon World Dusk =D

DS127 says:
*facedesk*

Fluffy says:
I was expecting a triple facepalm....

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:05 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I find retro stuff interesting 'cause it tells sort of a history about the time period it was made in.
My favorite retro-thing would have to be silent movies.
I love how well, just with facial expressions, good acting, and simple music, they're able to easily tell an elaborate story with out all the useless dialogue you see in movies today.

Maybe I'm just spiteful towards Hollywood these days 'cause they have no originality and keep making crap-hole remakes of remakes and continue to booger-pick cliches into their "horror films" *ahem*.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:49 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

There's a lot more stuff to choose from in the past. You've got tons of history behind you, but only 24 hours of today. So it's not necessarily "better" but you're bound to like stuff from the past because you have such a vast array of choices. However, because we as human beings naturally try to adapt and improve, there's also a large chance that you'll like what you see in today's world, because if it's popular, that means it's generally accepted by others as being better than yesterday's.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think I'm too far into retro. I take stuff people don't want, go to thrift stores often, and I've even inherited some stuff.
I've got more game systems than I have space for (including an Atari VCS), a record player, a neat TV from the late '70s I like gaming on, an old, small '70s amp (still can be insanely loud but I don't need that), a bunch of records (most of 'em I've never played yet), and a couple retro macs (not new ones, think beige).

Pokemon Platinum: 0689-1181-2075
Pokemon BR: 0946-4647-8955

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:43 pm
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

RSP 16 wrote:
I think I'm too far into retro. I take stuff people don't want, go to thrift stores often, and I've even inherited some stuff.
I've got more game systems than I have space for (including an Atari VCS), a record player, a neat TV from the late '70s I like gaming on, an old, small '70s amp (still can be insanely loud but I don't need that), a bunch of records (most of 'em I've never played yet), and a couple retro macs (not new ones, think beige).

Wow...that almost sounds like my dream room except for the old macs. :D

DS127 says:
*facepalm*

Fluffy says:
Explorers of Darkness too

DS127 says:
*double facepalm*

Fluffy says:
Oh and Digimon World Dusk =D

DS127 says:
*facedesk*

Fluffy says:
I was expecting a triple facepalm....

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:02 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I think that's pretty much to do with each one's generation and childhood. I myself prefer old cartoons to newer ones (anyone remember The Pirates of Dark Water and Wildfire?), I suddenly get this urge to play SNES games (I'm about to buy a joystick so I can play my emulator, and I'm saving money to buy the actual console) and vinyl records will always bring back to me some good memories; it's just not the same if you have a CD with the same songs, it's the record itself that makes you feel good.

I enjoy retro stuff too, because it's time travelling back to a very good age, and possibly the best in my life. I believe most of us, born around the '80s, are most likely to be attached to our old, retro stuff, and feel sorry for the nowadays kids, because "our time was better, it wasn't stupid and empty like the things you see today". That's obviously not right to say for a sole reason of adaptation and habit; every time has its thing, minds and generations change: I'm pretty sure my 7-year old cousin will quickly get bored while watching Huckleberry Hound and won't think twice before switching that for the latest DVD of Rebelde, for my deepest displeasure.

And no, I don't think that stuff will ever get old because it was awesome during our time and still have us to remember it and the modern technology to not ever let it completely die. But I do believe there will be a time when Wiis and PS3s "were the best consoles in my time, not too darn complicated like these new things you see today!", and when that time comes we will probably be too old to play our ancient SNESs. ;)

Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:46 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Galar wrote:
latest DVD of Rebelde

lol rebelde...

bot: i agree with you guys, although im not as old, i consider the things from my retro (90-95) to be amusing. I think it would be a lie to say i like stuff from the 70's or the 80's cause i personally didn't live in them, or have tried any of their stuff, and im pretty sure id get quite bored with it. i think that if you didn't live it you wont appreciate it. Except for my brother's atari and sega, a bit older then i am. im still fond of everything from when i was young though, and up to this day i still have stuff hidden somewhere in my closet.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:50 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

nos·tal·gia /n??stæld??, -d?i?, n?-/
-noun
1. a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
2. something that elicits or displays nostalgia.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
I prefer pokemon silver to any of the new one's, and I believe that shining force 2 on sega is the greatest game ever consieved.
oh and striker, I think your sig is too big.

no reason {typhlosion}

Last edited by Zombie on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:45 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]