It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Independence Day, US/Canada 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

So, we have basically the same thing at around the same time.

Canadians - July 1st
Americans - July 4th

Please bare in mind that we will all be celebrating the same independence day in about 20 years, courtesy of the North American Union. There will be one set of laws, one currency known as the Amero, etc, etc, etc.

To celebrate Independence day, I took advantage of sales - my laptop just died last night, so say hello to my SonyVAIO NR110E/S 15.4" widescreen Laptop featuring a failure operating system (Vista Home Premium), 120 GB Hard Drive (SATA, 5400RPM), 1 GB Ram, 1.37GHZ.

All said and done - 780 dollars, including the printer which I splurged for - Scanner, Copier, USB (lol, I still run a parallel port. Good thing I had the correct chord - the greedy tards demanded $20 + tax for their's).

500 + 30 (100 printer - 70 rebate) + 50 tax = 580 USD.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:11 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Peanut-Lover wrote:

Please bare in mind that we will all be celebrating the same independence day in about 20 years, courtesy of the North American Union. There will be one set of laws, one currency known as the Amero, etc, etc, etc.

Go away.

I slept all day, and now I'm sitting here.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:27 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
I got contacts, became sick, got better, and continued to sit around, messing on the computer and watching Comedy Central.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:30 pm
Profile YIM
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I slept in until 12:30pm, mowed the front lawn, played Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword for the GBA), played FFTA2, had dinner, and shot off some fireworks with my dad.

That's about it. Oh, and I got a small burn on my elbow from a bottle rocket misfire. It's only a flesh wound, though.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The whole Amero thing seems kind of impossible... I mean why would Canada, and Mexico want to merge with the United States and just become one nation? Well not one nation, I read it'd be sort of like Europe, but we still have our differences. It'd be upto the voters, not upto the governments to just say 'let's become ONE GIGANTIC nation under god".

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:12 pm
Profile YIM
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Merry Independance Day, congratulations on pwning us, P-L is an idiot, etc.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

lol

Also, a lot of North American Islands are European nation territories.

Anyway, I like Independence Day a lot. It's fun for me; I like to spend time with my family, and I like to blow off fireworks. My unwavering, but not overzealous, pride for the nation I love and live in has a bit to play in this (pride - (P-L)^12 = me). Today, I spent time with my father and step-mother, because his birthday is on the sixth. He drives a truck now, so I don't get to see him as much. I'm glad everyone showed up in his immediately family (besides my older brother who lives in San Fran). We ate traditional BBQ food and played cornhole and pool.

I suppose Independence Day carries more weight for me due to the memories I have.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:47 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I had my annoying-as-all-hell cousins spend the night with me on Thursday, which resulted in me almost beating the mess out of my 6-year-old cousin because he was deliberately trying to get on my nerves. Then on Friday I had to go over my aunt and uncle's house where numerous family members got on my nerves and told me how long my hair was getting, how beautiful my eyes were, etc. My cousin gave me 5 dollars though, lol. Overall, Independence Day was annoying for me. I didn't even shoot off fireworks.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:04 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Sheesh, most of you guys are boring. :p

I had a mini-cookout at my house, then went to a baseball game for about 2-3 hours; being at the game gave us the best seats for the fireworks display after the game. It looked really cool and it was fun...except my sister started crying, lol. She has sensitive ears.

My school was also honored at the game for the 'Joe' project; one of the computer teachers at my school and one of her classes took a mannequin (sp?), and stuck on pictures of the faces of every soldier in our state who died in Iraq. It became a huge thing in our city. [/brag]

We got home at maybe 10:30, and I went to bed at midnight..I didn't feel very good, because I ate nothing but airheads for a few hours. D:

Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I wanna see a topic just like this one on September 7th too, I have the feeling this is a rather xenophobic community. >=[

Anyway. ;p

July 4th is also comemorative day for the brazillian army if I'm not mistaken, they don't get to work or something. Not that they do much, though </criticism>. We have a retired member of the army in our class, and yesterday we sang the US anthem (with out hands to our chests and everything) in a low tune everytime he was near us, just to annoy him. >=)

Congrats to you, my american friends, I wish you the best (but deep in my heart I hope your nation starts to decline ;( ). I hope you all got to see some nice fireworks (I know someone who didn't because it was raining :( ) and had the opportunity to enjoy viewing a beautiful parade and spending some good time with your families. I wish we did it with the same enthusiasm around here. :/

Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:41 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Congrats, America! Over 2 centuries free from us! We truly did get a**kicked etc... Hope to see you celebrating on the Bastille day! (14th, French holiday, lots of fun!) x

My avatar is sucky. I'll get round to doing something about that.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:44 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The stroming of the Bastille was inspired by us, but was waaaaaaaaaaay too violent - we at least had the politeness of not killing the King.

Galar -
The American revolution inspired most, if not all revolutions here in the Western Hemisphere - plus, we are such a superpower that we force others to observe holidays meaning absolutely nothing.. It would be no surprise if the Brazilians had some form of celebration for the inspiration.

gq wrote:
Merry Independance Day, congratulations on pwning us, P-L is an idiot, etc.

I brought up nothing about whooping you guys, or how we're superior, or anything like that.
Nor did I mention anything that makes me look like an idiot.

The North American Union (herein known as the NAU) eliminated all borders between the US/Canada/Mexico, not just trade, like NAFTA - no, it explains why the Bush administration hasn't done much against "Mexican" illegal immigration. It also explains why Canadians haven't been catapulting themselves over (j/k).

Its only a matter of time before the US Constitution is not even applicable, the Canadian Dollar/US Dollars/Mexican Peso will be replaced by the Amero, and one government shall exist.
At this point, it doesn't apply to Central/South America and the Carribean. That will happen later. Or never, because they seem so "insignifcant", despite the fact that many nice, resourceful people live there, and that so many useful things exist there, including medicines to cure cancer.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:30 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I live in Australia, so no independence day for us!

That said, I don't see the benefits of being part of the Commonwealth. Australia acts on its own with little interference from the queen. It'd be nice for Australia to become independent, but it really would make little difference, which is probably why we haven't bothered to do it. We'd have to go through the trouble of electing a president instead of a prime minister, changing much of the currency (coins have queen on them, and so does one of our notes?), and yaddah yaddah.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:47 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

P-L wrote:
I brought up nothing about whooping you guys, or how we're superior, or anything like that.

It was a comment made in jest, referring to how the Americans defeated the British in the Revolution, thus securing their independence.

P-L wrote:
Nor did I mention anything that makes me look like an idiot.

P-L also wrote:

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, I spent the fourth of July eating fish and chips, hunting, rowing, worshipping the Queen, and all that other stereotype s*** I'm supposed to do.

But seriously? Well, congratulations on Independence, blah, blah, blah, anyway, it was one less problem for the Emp... no, we have to say Commonwealth now. Political correctness gits. Also, it was a civil war. The British technically won.

GAWD BLESS AMERICUH, and whatnot.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:58 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
Well, congratulations on Independence, blah, blah, blah, anyway, it was one less problem for the Emp... no, we have to say Commonwealth now. Political correctness gits.

It's nothing to do with political correctness, rio. To put it simply, we just don't HAVE an empire any more, unless you want to claim that a few **** islands, Great Britain and Gibraltar honestly counts as a global empire.

The Commonwealth is really nothing more than a gentleman's club for countries. :3

Quote:
rowing

wait since when has this been a British stereotype? O_o

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

No, silly. On our French history trip, every time the BEF and the Newfoundlanders were mentioned, they were referred to as "Commonwealth Forces".

Also, yeah, it's not really a stereotype, but bar cycling, rowing is the only sport we consistently win in the Olympics.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:11 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I'm fairly sure that Canada had independence by then, or at least a fair amount of political autonomy. I'll have to check, though.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Newfoundland was still British. The rest of Canada was independent.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:27 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Peanut-Lover wrote:
The storming of the Bastille was inspired by us, but was waaaaaaaaaaay too violent - we at least had the politeness of not killing the King.

Only 'cause the English King was an ocean away, the revolutionists were badasses, they would've killed George in a second, or at least wounded him. :D

As it is, for Independence Day, I spent it in the most ... split state. On one hand, they're insanely patriotic, and on the other, there's a large portion of them that wants to be their own nation somehow. <_> (The state is TEXAS.) Anyways GO AMERICA GO AMERICA HAHAHAH ENGLAND blahblahblahblahblah. If you take offense at this then you're automatically lame, and a pansy. :D

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
Only 'cause the English King was an ocean away, the revolutionists were badasses, they would've killed George in a second, or at least wounded him. :D

You'd never have even reached Ireland. Our navy could pwn anything you guys would've made. :3

I bet that if our navy had been airborne, we would've kept you guys for a few centuries more. :D

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]