It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 what is the biggest issue? 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
What is the biggest problem facing our world today?
i say war, war is the cause of all suffering.

made at zombies tomb

Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:38 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I would say poverty. It's a big problem, yet most people do nothing about it. War is, in a way, preventable, while poverty isn't really.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I would probably say that one of the largest issues is Peak Oil and what it means to the world's economy due to the fact that the US is taking a huge hit. Food prices are increasing, and of course gas prices are too.

I would also advise you to check out www.192021.org/ because it displays some really weird and somewhat frightening facts about supercities. In 2050, 2/3 of the population of the world will live in cities, and cities won't be able to support that. Nor will the world. We're at the brink of our population increase and our world still can't support us even now. I can't wait until 2050, to say the least. ;o

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Agriculture.

Oh, no, I'm not just talking about modern misuse of agriculture. I don't just mean the trashing of rainforest for cattle land; I'm not just referencing the incentives to grow feed corn instead of human consumables. It ain't just copyrighted and patented GM crop issues which bother me.

No, I'm referring to the beginning of the Neolithic era, when Ogg the Hunter-Gatherer figured out that if she planted seeds instead of pooping them, the tribe could remain in one place and support more people with less overall work. Oh, Ogg, you traitorous bitch. Here's what Ogg did to us:
  • Compared to hunting and gathering, agriculture is an environmental nightmare, no matter how responsibly practiced.

• The increase in population, coupled with a stationary tribal system, allowed for new fields like metallurgy to develop. Hey, who's up for a rousing game of Release the Heavy Metal Compound into the Groundwater?

• Since not everyone has to contribute to the food supply, that frees up a lot of spare time. Sure, now we've got an artisan class, but more importantly, we have classes at all. Ogg just created class disparity, which translates directly into poverty.

• Oh, and while we're at it, let's invent all-out war so that we can expand our population and take over better resources! All those minor territorial conflicts - the ones which pretty much resolved themselves through ritual or the occasional pillage raid, as opposed to mass murder and rape - well, let's say that they weren't exactly very exciting.

• Corollary to the above: since Other Tribes are the Bad Guys, we've invented regionalism and racism!

• Hey, now that population increase means that we need lots of lower-class babies bred for farm labor, and since a stationary agicultural system tends to engender patriarchal family units (men have better upper body strength on average, and anyway, women have to be pregnant as often as possible), we've invented sexism, too!

And that's just scratching the surface. Yes, folks, the existence of agriculture is the worst thing to happen to humanity since the last supervolcano explosion (~700,000 years ago, and that reduced humanity to less than 5,000 members planet-wide). I vote we get rid of it immediately.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

People.
No seriously, if there were no people the world be completely fine/problemless. This gets rid of war, poverty and whatever else anyone mentioned. Although I'm not suggesting that all the people should get killed or something though.

Fri May 02, 2008 9:12 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
Shinyhunter07 wrote
Quote:
I would say poverty. It's a big problem, yet most people do nothing about it. War is, in a way, preventable, while poverty isn't really.

war is energy consuming time consuming and food consuming.if there were no wars or arguments then people could work together to prevent poverty.
so there

made at zombies tomb

Fri May 02, 2008 9:48 am
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Fuel expenditure.

Our resources are going and we have little alternatives. Nuclear Power has dangerous side-effects and Solar Power isn't efficient enough to power the entire world.

We learnt all about this in Science last term, and I found it really interesting. This Wiki has some very cool information.

Even though it's likely I'll die before the world is f_cked, due to the increase in the cost of petrol, expenses are going up more than the value of a dollar.

Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Not cracking fusion. Come on, we can deal with crime if we had NEARLY INFINITE ENERGY: shoot criminals with high powered lasers or something. We can deal with garbage build up: fire it all into space using fusion-powered rockets. We can deal with low oil: use fusion to get electricity for pure electric cars. We can deal with war: share the infinite energy with the world and sing around the fusion reactor. Why fight? We'd need barely any resources to fight over. If there still is war, I bet we can just build some kind of shield around continents, hey, we'd have tons of energy!

Just think of it, whoever cracks fusion would be the savior of Earth! Nearly never ending power supply for everyone!

255 is the true devil's number.

typhlosion blaze wrote:
Wait, the guy who made this topic plays runescape? So 3rd grade.

From my "Stupid Insults" thread, where people tell eachother how people insulted them in a hilariously stupid manner, how ironic!

Mon May 05, 2008 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

what is the biggest issue? what will I wear today?

Sat May 10, 2008 6:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Money Issues. This is sort of like Poverty though. Everything costs money. LIFE costs money. You have to PAY (in some countries *couch* *cough*america*cough* *cough*) to have a proper birthing or else the baby may die. Food needs money. seriously, we NEED food. we cant live without it. and people just want us to PAY to survive? thats messed up. Clothes, another important thing that keeps us from getting illnesses induced by bad weather and wound infections, Also costs money. Health, Marriage, Safety, Jobs, ect. ect. The world is CONTOLLED by money. you control money, you control wars, you control who has a home, who gets what and when. Without money, you cant pay off that Bazooka ya bought to help in the war. Even buying stuff to keep you alive (a.k.a. apple tree seeds and fruit trees and bushes) is worth money. We need to be able to share instead of having the "if i give you this, what do I get?" kind of attitude.

You Jump Off The Bridge, Then Ima miss your Sorry Butt

Sat May 10, 2008 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Dark Zangoose wrote:
Money Issues. This is sort of like Poverty though. Everything costs money. LIFE costs money. You have to PAY (in some countries *couch* *cough*america*cough* *cough*)

lol randomly calling out America for no reason.

seeing as it costs more money to live in Europe, not America. Also, in most places you have to pay money to give birth in a hospital, not just *cough* *cough* America *cough* *cough* :(

btw you also said *couch*, not *cough*. :p

Sat May 10, 2008 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

poplers wrote:
Dark Zangoose wrote:
Money Issues. This is sort of like Poverty though. Everything costs money. LIFE costs money. You have to PAY (in some countries *couch* *cough*america*cough* *cough*)

lol randomly calling out America for no reason.

i LIVED in america for most of my life, and i know that you have to pay for most services there. (this means hospital use). Ive Gotten a 4mm gouge down my arm when i lived there, and my family ALMOST couldnt afford to get me stitches for it. Like i said, everything in the world costs money. I like couches. is that a problem? :P

You Jump Off The Bridge, Then Ima miss your Sorry Butt

Sun May 11, 2008 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Dark Zangoose wrote:
i LIVED in america for most of my life, and i know that you have to pay for most services there. (this means hospital use). Ive Gotten a 4mm gouge down my arm when i lived there, and my family ALMOST couldnt afford to get me stitches for it. Like i said, everything in the world costs money. I like couches. is that a problem? :P

I think operations should be free if the situation is life risking or the patient has money issues. In Australia, something like 2-3 billion dollars a year goes to welfare. While welfare is good (single and struggling mothers, the elderly should receive benefits), a lot of it is abused by people who don't work or lie about their conditions. If the Government was stricter on the abuse of welfare they could save a lot of money which could go to (but not secure) hospital care.

Some people who are suffering from terminal illnesses are paying millions of dollars they don't have for operations that will prolong their lives for another few months until they can borrow another million to get another operation. It's very unfortunate that these people, even if they do survive, will never be able to achieve anything because they're crippled with debts. And if they pass away, their family is left to pay whatever their assets can't pay for.

I think this is a very large issue, but not the largest.

Mon May 12, 2008 1:17 am
I need to shut the **** up

Darkkend wrote:
what is the biggest issue? what will I wear today?

Ohhhhh yeah, that's an issue for you.
For me, anything to do with rainforests being razed to the ground and pollutants rising into the air.......London will flood in 2015....
Heh heh, lucky for me I live in Wales.
{chingling}{piplup}Chingling {dragonite}{chingling}

OMG! Ender at the End Shop is AMAZING!!! Visit it now: End Shop!!

Mon May 12, 2008 10:34 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm standing right behind you with a knife...
I'm surprised no one has said global warming yet, very surprised in truth. Which is worse, war, poverty in some people, comets or meteors that have a one in a billion something percent chance of killing us all or temperatures reaching extreem hights, disease and survival rates plumetting, global floods and eventually a new ice age? Obviously global warming is the biggest issue on hand, as the others actually don't effect everyone or they won't all die.

Mon May 12, 2008 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'll be perfectly honest - it is more likely that you will be killed by space debris impact than a plane crash, simply because it affects more people.

Today, I'd definitely have to say the energy crisis, global warming, lack of universe exploration, and America's need to spend tax dollars on garbage.

Mon May 12, 2008 7:12 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
At risk of sounding self-centered, the issue I am most worried about is my life.

Yeah. :|

Mon May 12, 2008 7:15 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Global Warming IS part of the Ice Age we're in right now. You don't watch enough educational videos in Science. =P

I think one of the biggest issues in the world today is the depletion of non-renewable resources. The steady decline in gas for vehicles is leading to higher gas prices, which of are now approaching $4.00 per gallon where I live. Spending vast amounts of money on gasoline gives away to more money expenditure. Just with these two issues, we can lose a major source of fuel for automobiles and it renders people who spent vast amounts of money only on trying to keep their vehicles running on the brink or in poverty. There is also an issue between races that seems to get worse every year, but I'd rather not talk about it since there's a chance that certain members might take offense to a single statement.

Tue May 13, 2008 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Religion is a large issue. Millions of people are killed by what it causes.

Particular the premise of faith.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Pirate King wrote:
While welfare is good (single and struggling mothers, the elderly should receive benefits)

Not single struggling fathers?

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Zangy wrote:
Pirate King wrote:
While welfare is good (single and struggling mothers, the elderly should receive benefits)

Not single struggling fathers?

It served as an example. I could list each and every type of person affected if you so wish.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]