It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The FUN FACTS Thread! WOO! YEAH! 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

p-l be quiet you dont have to ruin it :[

ix: panthers DO exist, you know. it's basically another name for the mountain lion, and it's used as a name for a leopard when it's going through the black color phase.

- In the average lifetime, you will walk the equivalent of five times around the equator.
- Jacob has been the most popular name in the US since 1998 (not counting 2007-currently, though, because we haven't got anything in yet).
- About one in five-thousand North Atlantic lobsters are born bright blue.
- The pig ranks number six in the top ten smartest animals in the world (1 being the smartest).
- Sometimes, snakes are born with two heads. If this happens, they will fight for food all the time.
- Ancient China was the first civilization to have civil service (I think).
- The Incas measured time by noting how long it took to cook a potato.
- Hippos can run faster than humans. They can run up to 25-30 mph, and humans can run up to around 23 miles per hour.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to the color blue.
- Fast food isn't actually very modern. There were vendors that sold ready-to-eat meals on/in the streets of ancient Greece and Rome.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Cherrygrove wrote:
Reach for the Top!

lol. I was on the team (junior) at my school and was even captain for a little while until I started mssing a lot of the games and got demoted to unofficial co-captain. I played for the senior team once when they were shorthanded where there were questions about nuclear physics....

Yeah, we just had our final tournament a few weeks ago. It was really fun and we actually did pretty well; in a tournament with 14 junior teams, I expected to get maybe 9th or 10th because we were a member short, but we ended up getting fourth. So that was nice.

Reach is great. I have so much fun, everyone in it is so awesome. I really love when we get really stupid questions. I remember getting "What is one more than three?", "What would one do with a bagel?" and "Clocks and sundials are used to measure what?" And of course, my signature question I get every time it comes up (often), "What is the name for the group of Atlantic islands owned by Portugal?"

Okay, to stay on task:

- $1.19 is the largest amount of money you can have without being able to make exact change for a dollar

- The Dead Sea is called such because it is so heavily salted that no life forms can live there

- During the Great Depression, more than 1/4 of "working" Americans were unemployed

- John Tupper was the shortest serving Canadian Prime Minister, serving around 80 days.

- Kim Campell, the only female Canadian Prime Minister, only lasted about four months.

- In Quebec, weekend translates to "la fin de semaine" but in France it's "le weekend"

- The drinking age is only 18 in Quebec and not enforced very heavily

- In Canada, it is legal to drink on your own property at any age, but parents can be charged with neglect if you get too smashed (is it the same in America?)

Those are all off the top of my head, so if anything is incorrect, correct it please.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:22 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Quote:
ix: panthers DO exist, you know. it's basically another name for the mountain lion, and it's used as a name for a leopard when it's going through the black color phase.

But it isn't a real animal, as in there isn't an animal called a panther. Most animals people think are panthers are either black pumas, black leopards or black jaguars. And White Panthers are just albino snow leopards.
Bah I've run out of facts from my book :(
*goes to watch QI*

Thu May 01, 2008 1:17 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

http://funny2.com/facts.htm

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

The average chocolate bar has 8 insect legs in it.

The blue whale can produce sounds up to 188 decibels. This is the loudest sound produced by a living animal and has been detected as far away as 530 miles.

The human eye blinks an average of 4,200,000 times a year.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

Hawaii is moving toward Japan 4 inches every year.

Sat May 03, 2008 11:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I had two facts, but I forget the other. The one I remember is:

There's a place near where I live called Nfield. :3

Thu May 08, 2008 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2