It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Improper use of tasers and other weapons 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Or they could simply only use a taser as a last resort.

No, they use a gun as a last resort.

And indeed, gamerguy -- I don't know what happened to pepper spray. While I fully support tazer usage, pepper spray is a good alternative, unless someone were to have an allergic reaction. I don't know if that's possible, though.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Now my next article to tackle is the 6 year old and glass.

Some of you are bashing the police for not going and just grabbing the kids arm. it mentions in the article that the officer slid the kid a trash can. That means that they weren't right next to the boy. my guess would be that the officers and teachers must have been between 8 to 21 (max range for many police tazers) feet, or 2.5 to 6.5 meters. If the kid were in the corner of the room, or against a wall, and was holding the glass near or against a vital organ, he could have killed himself before the cops tackled the boy. This would make it very risky to even try to approach, let alone run at, or try to tackle the boy.

Another major factor is the size of the glass. (The article did not specify) if any of you have ever seen a shattered picture frame, You'll know that they can break into fairly large chunks, sometimes comparable to a dagger or (if it was a big picture frame,) even a short sword.

The article also mentions that the boy was able to "Hold a security guard at bay" this implies that he also swung or pointed the edge at the guard. As the boy was in an office, the boy would only have to force everyone else to the door at the point of his makeshift weapon, to be able to defend himself from being disarmed.

What would you have done?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:12 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The issue isn't whether tasers are "good". Tasers, guns, and hammers all share a trait: they're tools, and what they do depends entirely on the hand wielding them. It's not a matter of controlling taser use; it's a matter of finding out why they're being misused.

The problem with the proliferation of taser usage lately lies in its "less-than-lethal" capacity. Police in current society (at least in America; that's the only nation for which I can speak) often feel that they're between a rock and a hard place: they need to enforce the peace and protect the public, yet every action they take carries the potential for the public to castigate them. How does one take quick action to defuse a situation before it becomes a serious threat while still covering one's own behind? Thus does the taser become the cop's best friend.

All well and good, but the problem is that many jerkwads feel that the use of a taser is perfectly acceptable in situations in which no force is required. The infamous "don't tase me, bro" situation is the perfect example, and it's not alone by any means. Likewise, at WTO and anti-war demonstrations, police have been known to use tasers, rubber bullets, Mace, tear gas, and other LTL methods to "control" crowds who have not at all violated the terms of peaceful and lawful demonstration. Just as there are nasty retail managers who use their authority to lord it over their underlings, and just as there are parents who'll beat their children for the most minor infractions, there are law enforcement officials who mistake the availability of their control capacities for the necessity of their use.

In summary: tasers are great. Guns are great. Nightsticks, riot shields, cars, tear gas, and hammers are great. Training could use some work. Jerkwads should be removed from their position by the legal system if they ever step outside their boundaries.

BTW, interesting that everyone is focusing so hardcore on the 6-year-old and the traffic stop - both pretty grey areas - and not at all on the blatant improprieties. Or, for that matter, cases in which tasers are used in perfect accordance with the rights of all individuals involved and the specifics of the circumstances.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2