It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Shooting At VT 
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Jack Thompson also found some way to get onto Fox News and is already unloading all the blame onto the gaming community. Video games are not to blame. As you know I am a Gamer. Do not blame us for your social problems. Man up and take responsibility. The lives of 33 people have been extinguished and that is unfortunate but don't blame video games for what a 23 year old loner did.

Meh, the media need a scapegoat. Video games are unpopular amongst most adults, so they're an easy target. I'm sure the same was said about pop music a few decades back in situations like this. 'course, it's all crap. Pop music, video games and horror films do NOT make you a killer, unless you're already screwed up bad.

2x4b wrote:
I also agree with JameJame. The only reason a lot of you hate the gunman is because he killed 33 people. Even the media. I bet you haven't even thought about what he was feeling. For all you know in his mind he had a damn good reason but alas... We will never know.

But does that honestly give him an excuse? Thousands, probably millions of people went through exactly the same thing as him, and don't go shooting people. Why is he so special and different from everyone else that he can honestly think that it's right to kill? You'd have to be mentally ill or something to even think of murder.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

*mentally ill* ... Well, to seriously consider it, I guess. But Gold, I'd call you a liar if you said you've never been mad enough at someone to consider their death. Maybe just as a passing thought, but nonetheless.

I, too, am sick and tired of hearing video games being blamed for the deaths of dozens. Michael Moore did a good job of not blaming them (at least as far as I can remember he didn't) but hardly anyone listens to him anyways. Look at ME -- I played Doom before I could count to 50, I beat Conker's Bad Fur Day when I was nine, and Grand Theft Auto back when the series existed in numbers (GTA, GTA II, GTA III)...

And I haven't killed anyone.

In fact, I think being sheltered from all of this is a big problem. It seems like the kids who have spent their lives trapped in a cage of public access TV and YAY OMG LEARNING GAMES get to high school, discover drugs, violence, and all that other pleasant stuff, and just go crazy. Drugs and alcohol I could care less about, and I've never been in a fist fight.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:13 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

*mentally ill* ... Well, to seriously consider it, I guess. But Gold, I'd call you a liar if you said you've never been mad enough at someone to consider their death. Maybe just as a passing thought, but nonetheless.

Of course, but never much worse than a passing fantasy, and never REALISTICALLY.

JameJame wrote:
In fact, I think being sheltered from all of this is a big problem. It seems like the kids who have spent their lives trapped in a cage of public access TV and YAY OMG LEARNING GAMES get to high school, discover drugs, violence, and all that other pleasant stuff, and just go crazy. Drugs and alcohol I could care less about, and I've never been in a fist fight.

Interesting theory there. Probably true, as well.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

They also blamed Marilyn Manson for the deaths of the students at Columbine which also seriously pissed me off. I mean, if there's two things I love, it's music and video games. And yeah, some of what I listen to has some pretty violent and graphic imagery. I think for a lot of people, violent music is a bit of an outlet. Listening to a song that talks about stuff like that, at least for me, is nearly as "good" as actually doing it. Well, that didn't come out the way I wanted it to. What I meant was, it's just as... I can't think of the word. Fulfilling, but not quite.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Violence belongs in video games. >:O

They also blamed Marilyn Manson for the deaths of the students at Columbine which also seriously pissed me off. I mean, if there's two things I love, it's music and video games. And yeah, some of what I listen to has some pretty violent and graphic imagery. I think for a lot of people, violent music is a bit of an outlet. Listening to a song that talks about stuff like that, at least for me, is nearly as "good" as actually doing it. Well, that didn't come out the way I wanted it to. What I meant was, it's just as... I can't think of the word. Fulfilling, but not quite.

Well I can see how it pissed you off that they blamed it on Marilyn Manson but actually that could be a reason. The more violent video games and violent music, etc. that you listen to gets stuck in your brain and that could be a reason that they killed people in my hometown so I can see why they said that. Really people just need to spot bullying others , you would think the bullies would get it buy now from Columbine that you can only harass someone so much till they go off and kill everyone. My point stop pushing these people to go crazy and go have a massacre at school.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

First off, you have to be mature enough to listen to violent music and video games. If you have that maturity, which it appears I had at the age of five, then you're able to listen to that kind of music and play violent video games. Well, so long as your parents teach you it's wrong and whatever, which most parents do when you're that age.

Also, many bullies don't realize what they're doing. I mean, it's no big deal, it's fun, come on. If they REALLY completely understood what they were doing was hurting someone and that they didn't deserve it, they probably would stop. Who HASN'T bullied someone? It's something everyone does and for different reasons. In the serious cases, taking it to a teacher or whatever is the only thing that really helps, except in a college setting ";_; Billy Bob is makin' funna my hair" doesn't really solve anything.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:15 pm
Illiterate
Illiterate

I agree with JJ ( :shock: )...those who blame video games and music are just people who need desperatly to find an excuse to such things and start blaming anything they dont like.

I know a lot of people are going to hate me after I say this but I dont understand why is the whole word shocked with only 33 people. Without the intention of ofending annyone, much more people get kill in Columbia (and other underdeveloped countrys) every week, and somehow they don't appear in international news everyday.

It may be that the situation has gotten us unsensitive, but its a little bit funny to see how many of you got "traumatized" or very scared about a simple person with a gun (wich is already dead anyway). We have to deal with a large group of (living) people armed with bombs and heave guns; and most of the people here live peacefully no matter what. A new bomb blows up somewher like every 2 months...but people are already slept two hours after they hear the news.

Vulpine wrote:
It really makes you wonder what the world is coming too.

Coming too??? ....lol.....it probably makes you wonder what is your country coming too but the world has been like this for thousands of years, most of the massive murders (Im talking about millions here, not 30) have been made by the church or the goverments, but the society keeps us in hour happy little world surounded by Pokemon and bunnys so we dont realize about it.

Just as an example (not trying to offend America here) USA's army killed much more innocent children in the Afganistan or Iraq wars.....is there any topic about it here?

In nomine....Diabulus et...Belial, Satan, Astharoth, Lucifer et Yahve.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:28 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I know a lot of people are going to hate me after I say this but I dont understand why is the whole word shocked with only 33 people. Without the intention of ofending annyone, much more people get kill in Columbia (and other underdeveloped countrys) every week, and somehow they don't appear in international news everyday.

Actually, you raise a good point there. However, the media aren't really bothered about what happens in third-world countries (I'm not sure if Columbia is one, but it's certainly in a part of the world where they're common). Something like this hits home more. It's the traditional "I'm not bothered until it happens right outside my door" stance. And since most people are influenced by the media, we only really worry about the horrific acts that happen near us.

garabato wrote:
It may be that the situation has gotten us unsensitive, but its a little bit funny to see how many of you got "traumatized" or very scared about a simple person with a gun (wich is already dead anyway). We have to deal with a large group of (living) people armed with bombs and heave guns; and most of the people here live peacefully no matter what. A new bomb blows up somewher like every 2 months...but people are already slept two hours after they hear the news.

See the first comment. It's more worrying to most Western people if a gunman attacks innoncent civilians in a wealthy country than if a bomber blows himself up and kills innocent civilians in a poor country, because they think that the bomber in the poor country won't happen to them.

garabato wrote:
Just as an example (not trying to offend America here) USA's army killed much more innocent children in the Afganistan or Iraq wars.....is there any topic about it here?

There was, but it got locked due to flaming. I have a worrying feeling that a similar fate awaits this thread; I hope not, because some good debate is going on here.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I agree with you on the "it's only 33" thing. It IS only 33 people, I agree, it's not that big of a deal. The thing that gets the media is the fact it's happening in a developed (aka, first world) country, and America is supossed to be the land of dreams and all that. Not to offend, but I think a lot of Amerians -- well, let's not blame them. A lot of people in first world countries are kind of apathetic to the goings on in other countries. I mean, I've only just heard about what happened in Rwanda and the thing with Pol-Pot over in... See, I forget the country! And he murdered 20% or so of the population.

I disagree with you on the fact that people should not be as sensitive to someone killing only 33 people. I don't care WHERE you live, if someone is in the same room you're in, brandishing a gun and shooting people, you're going to be scarred. If that happened at MY school, I don't even know what I'd do.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:02 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

They also blamed Marilyn Manson for the deaths of the students at Columbine

WTF.

*spazzes*

Really. If a massacre had anything to do with a song/video game, then they must be crazy.

"AAAAAH THE REASON THE KIDS AT COLUMBINE DIED WAS BECAUSE MARILYN MANSON WAS A SINGER!"

If suicidal/homocidal songs actually get a kid to shoot a bunch of people, then no comment.

Songs and violent video games are passtimes, not reasons to kill.

God what is this world coming to. D:

Edit: The gunman was a mentally disturbed depressed young man, and he was taking anti-depressants.

Last edited by Valentine on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Until I see concrete proof that video games and music actually condone massacres by "influencing" those involved I call that idiocy. Xalia said it - they're meant to be pastimes, not killing implements. "VIDEO GAMES ARE EVIL PEOPLE HAVE GUNS IN THEM"...apparently, people have guns in the real world too. If you know that shooting in real life is wrong but you can do it perfectly well in a video game, then do so. If you don't know it's wrong...er, your parents should have implied that at some point.

It's probably made out to be more important than it (seems it) actually is because it's a university and y'know...people from other countries might go there and stuff. Interns, foreign exchange, etc.

In other news, there was a service held today at the campus (I think) and the auditorium was so crowded that the audience stretched out into the football fields. People do care a lot, apparently.

Also, according to my local news station, the gunman was taking depression medication. I'm guessing that had something to do with the incident.

Last edited by Rhapsody on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:07 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Please don't make this about politics. This thread is about the Virginia Tech massacre, not whether the war in Iraq (or whatever other similar issue you want to bring up) is right or wrong. If it continues I'll start deleting off-topic posts in this thread.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:09 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

garabato wrote:

Actually, you raise a good point there. However, the media aren't really bothered about what happens in third-world countries (I'm not sure if Columbia is one, but it's certainly in a part of the world where they're common).

That's sad, yet true. Garabato, my country, Sri Lanka, faces the same problem as Columbia. People here are shot everyday, but it certainly doesn't reach the international news. I understand how you feel, and in a way, I agree with you. But it isn't right to say "only 33 people". It's like saying, "Well, it's only 33 people, so does it really matter if only 33 died?"

The fact is, everyone's life matters, no? And while compared with other numbers, 33 may seem small, it is still a shocking large amount of people to die. Death is pretty much always a sad thing to happen, especially, when a person isn't supposed to die yet.

I was watching the news yesterday, and I saw some of the survivors. They all looked like their worlds had been shattered, and it was just so sad.

Personally, I am sick of video games, and music being blamed for everything wrong that happens in the world. If you aren't mature enough to tell the difference between a game and real life, then you shouldn't play video games.

I get caught up in my music too, but just because I'm listening to this angry, violent song doesn't mean that I'm gonna take out a gun and shoot people. Anyone who has been raised properly would know better. People are just being dim if they blame such things.

Gardevoir~, about the depression medication, I'm sure that even you agree with me when I say that no matter how depressed you are, or how angry, you have no right to take away another person's life, let alone 33. If he had problems, he should just deal with them. That's what most people do.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:01 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Totally agrees with <s> Rapid </s> Vulp. In my country, Turkey, AT LEAST 50 people gets murdered everyday. Everyday, and I am not joking.

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:09 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Post K.P
so what was on that tape he sent to nbc? Wow on guy saving his students like that.

Omg yesterday at my town there was 5 threats from copycats and right now MY school is locked down from yet another threat and im stuck in the library which is kinda nice.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:12 am
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I have about 3 friends who go to VT, and one of them was shot but thankfully not dead. When I heard about the shooting my heart stoped, I had never been so scared in my life.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:24 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Just a reminder, today marks the one year anniversary of the shooting, and it still gives me the chills. Looking at the pictures of Cho, any of them, scare me that one student can do such a thing. I still remember the exact time in which I found out about the shootings:
MY FACEBOOK NOTE!!1 wrote:

think before you act.

I was born in a small town. This particular small town was nested between large farms and large sloping mountains. The regular inhabitants of said town were usually in their twenties and sporting bicycles. This small town held a college, and the college held the twenty year olds. This particular college had and still has a lot of spirit. I came to be in this town fifteen (and a half-ish) years ago.

The town is Blacksburg, and the college (if you don't already know) is Virginia Tech.

April 16th, 2007, around 9AM, I grabbed a small jeopardy remote in Mr. Davies' class while Cho was grabbing a loaded gun.

I remember exactly how I found out;
While boarding the bus in the afternoons, as I usually did Freshman Year, a guy riding my bus asked the bus driver if she had heard of the shootings at Virginia Tech... my heart below my feet now, I simply trudged to my seat and tried not to think about it. I got off the bus, my dad was sitting in his somewhat old Volvo, back from work. I already knew why he was home, they probably assumed it would become an attack on all faculty at major colleges throughout the US, my dad was waiting for me at the bus stop on September 11th too, but that's another facebook note at another time. :p

So.. I was born there, my dad worked there, and if he didn't leave, then we could be sitting in the same position as the current vice president was, devastated and extremely scared.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you remember the exact time that you heard of the shootings? Explain please. :(

We went back to Virginia Tech last winter break, Norman Hall looks like every other hall there, same limestone, same facade, same everything, its hard to think that such a pivotal moment in my life happened right there in a classroom close to the front of the building.

So, thoughts? Discussion? Pictarz? :3

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

That was a very sad day for VT, but I feel bad for all the casultys

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

lul reviving an old thread by almost a year

Cho looks silly with his guns. His face is just like >:| and stuff and blah blah blah

In the past year, I have become disturbingly obsessed with massacres, preferably school shootings. Columbine and VT are extremely interesting. Why, I believe they are the inspiration of my fictional character's destructive habits. Though, for some reason, I do not think Eric, Dylan or Cho left with as big of a bang as they could have. Maybe it's just me.

Oh, and, most of you probably already know this, but it's been confirmed Marilyn Manson didn't have a thing to do with VT. He was just blamed because violent/dark music = inspiration for murder, according to the media.

I do hope to watch Bowling for Columbine soon.

School is a very scary place. Our three friends, though, couldn't handle this fact and acted like a bunch of sissies, even though it probably doesn't seem like I think that way. If I could meet them in real life, I would love to torture them until I got tired and finally got rid of them with a syringe. Yep.

...haha, I am so corrupt in the head.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I heard the teacher who blocked the door was a survivor of the holocaust. I think it was him, anyway.
Still, that was so sad... If he was depressed, he could've just shot himself, rather than take the lives of innocent people, too.

Last edited by Patchy on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:18 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Just terrible... :(

Sat May 10, 2008 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2