It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Vegetarianism 
Illiterate
Illiterate

¿Why is it that some people say is wrong to eat meat?

¿What do you think about the vegaetarians who try to impose their way to think and, therefore, keep bothering us who eat meat?

I just saw some people making this campaign in the mall about how I shouldn't eat animals and that kind of stuffs, and it realy pissed my off. I mean, This is an underdeveloped country!!!!! , we shouldn't be wasting money on that kind of stuffs when there are real problems to be solved (like poberty, hunger, etc,etc).

So I started arguin with the guy in charge and eventually got kikced out from there :evil: , I beieve this is all about some vegetearian restaurant trying to make publicity (If it is Im going to be waiting outside to trash it :twisted: :twisted: ...........just kidding). But seriusly, dont you think those people should stop making us look like barabarians just because we eat meat? *You should have seen them, they have images of something like a drunk evil guy eating a chicken and called him "Carnivorolico".

In nomine....Diabulus et...Belial, Satan, Astharoth, Lucifer et Yahve.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:34 pm
The Geek
The Geek

There's room for all of God's creatures.... right next to the green beans and mashed potatoes.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Illiterate
Illiterate

I eat both meant and vegetables.i like both of them.I even eat them together sometimes. :lol:

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

I'm generally pro-animal rights, but I do eat chicken (and hot dogs, if you want to get nitpicky about it) because, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to eat at most major restaurants because they wouldn't serve anything I'd eat. The truth is that I really don't like the taste of most animal products; I've eaten burgers, steaks, shrimp and turkey in my day and I just don't like the taste of any of them at all. I generally don't get on the case on people who eat meat ("An it harm none, do what ye will," and, let's face it, plants are living creatures, too, but we have no problems killing them), but I think some practices, such as raising baby cows and chaining them up so they never exercise, in turn creating more "tender" veal, are absolutely despicable. I think animal rights organizations are generally good things... but they really shouldn't be so preachy and pushy about people who aren't vegetarians.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, I used to be a vegetarian a while ago, and I can see both sides of the argument.

1) We have incisors. That means we were born to have meat, and from eating it, we have evolve into what we are. "Chimpanzee evolved into Human! Human is trying to learn atomic bomb. Delete a move?"

2) We live in a time where we can choose not to meat and survive. We have the intelligence to make products that provide sustainance that we would have otherwise lost from not eating meat. So that begs uestion, are we just being unnecessarily murderous towards animals. When does it become Genocide?

Yup, holy bit done for the day.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:05 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It is more admirable for one to choose to be a vegetarian than to submit to the gastronomic pleasures. I know I still eat meat, but it is inhumane the way humans keep and prepare animals for consumption. I find it to be a vice of mine, since I am generally against the consumption of animal products. Animals usually provide only one good source of nutrition, protein, but can be blamed for a number of health related problems. Not only that, but livestock consumes 80% of our agriculture, and only one percent of all energy expended from sunlight and food is obtained from animal products.

It might be important to note that some believe humans have "earned" the right to eat animals they have domesticated, since the evolution of each species has lost any niche in the wild. Releasing them would undoubtedly lead to their extinction, and the farming, breeding, and consumption of these animals is their only purpose and source of survival. Humans have always been omnivores and have been domesticating livestock for thousands of years. Being animals ourselves, killing other animals for a source of nutrition isn't any more immoral than a lion hunting a gazelle. It's systematic now, but it isn't far removed from hunting for meat; domestication advances our species and meets nutritional demands for the population.

Eating meat could be justified if the methods we use to domesticate and slaughter the animals fell under a more "humane" guideline. The enclosures in which the animals are kept (most notably cows used for veal meat and chickens) create a quality of life that no human would ever wish. The life of the animal is simply to live to eat and be murdered to be eaten. Even if we sustain the species, the animal serves no purpose for itself or its species. How can we claim superiority over animals like this? Granted, a lion claims its superiority over a gazelle by eating it to continue its species since meat is its source of nutrition, but by doing so, another species benefits from this. Not only are humans not dependent on meat as a food source, but nature forms no human specific, symbiotic relationship with domestication.

I'm not particularly opposed to people domesticating and eating animals all together (though personally, I would rather not), but I'm highly opposed to the vast majority of practices used to process meat (watch a slaughterhouse video). Moreover, it would be to our benefit to only consume plants or less meat considering how much of which animals consume for themselves. One also needs to honor the rights of animals and realize the quality of life he creates for the creature.

Last edited by DatVu on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:08 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I think that Frost and DatVu summed up the arguement entirely, and I especially want to point out Frost's point of "plants are living creatures, too, but we have no problems killing them." Which is the point I always make when a vegitarian imposes their opinion on me. That is what it usually comes down to as well, them imposing their views. I personally eat veggies and fruits because it is healthy, but I may not have it at every meal. On the flip side, I have some bacon every day (even if it is just three strips on a burger). They preach the health benefits, I see that, but honestly, being a vegetarian is going to far in my opinion. I am a very healthy person despite my love of bacon (the most unhealthy meat I know of). I may not live forever, and I will have problems when I get older, ok, I can accept that. You've made your choice and I have made mine, so I just wish they wouldn't try and convert me to their ideals. Again going back to the fact that the real problem is one side imposing their opinion upon the other.

Thanks to my friend martmon for hooking me up with the sweet sig.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:39 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

im pro animal rights. animals have the right to live their live as they wish free from suffering harm and death by humans. People like to say " its justa an animal" or " animals are stupid " but this is not true.

think before you act
and take responsibility for everything you do.
everyone is resposible for everthing

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:31 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i do still eat meat sometimes but am not realy PROUD of it
*sighs*oh well! :roll:

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:30 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

1. stop them and be able 2 get pokemon in all games not just american 1s

2.who is anybody 2 stop any1 else from eatin meat.

ok thers a number 3

3. i love meat thats 4 sure :P 8-)

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Not all vegetarians try to force their ideas on others. I'm proud to say that I've just become vegetarian, and I'm not forcing my opinion down your throat, am I? I just think it is wrong how we exploit animals for our own gain, especially when with new technology, we don't need meat to survive (and Boca Burgers are so damn good...). Some of the conditions that we keep livestock under are horrible. It's just disgusting... Some may argue, "so what if we kill animals for food. Other animals do it." This is true, however other animals NEED to kill other animals for food. They'll die if they don't. Also, lions may hunt gazelle, but they don't capture them, keep them in a small enclosed area, and breed them for their own use and make the gazelle's sole purpose in life to feed the lion! Others may argue "plants are living things to, but you eat them!" Plants have no nerves. They don't feel pain. They have no conscience. Besides, as heterotrophic organisms, we must consume organic compounds to live, so we may as well eat the kind that feels no pain. I'm not saying that if you're not vegetarian, then you're a bad person. I'm not forcing you to do things you don't want to do. I'm just voicing my opinion on a topic I'm passionate about.

Last edited by Pigeon on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:26 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:51 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Location: IN THE EMOTIONLESS TRAWLING FERVOR'S OF MY INSANE MIND.
I personaly like eating veggies more than meat, if given the choice between pickles and bacon (both reallllllllly good) I'd choose pickles. I'm not vegiterian (I used to be) but I just think veggies taste better. Meats only purpose in my opinion is to add something to a veggie. meal.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:02 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lol. I'm a vegetarian for my religion (Hinduism). But also because my parents forbid me to eat meat >_>

I'm not very religious so once I'm out of the house, I'll eat chicken. I heard its soooooooo good. Anyway, I'm just not gonna eat beef.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm considering becoming one. I do agree that humans were made to eat meat, and I don't feel like killing animals for food is bad, because OTHER animals kill other animals for food, so why can't we? It's in out genetic code, too.

The reason I would become vegetarian would be to not patronize the slaughterhouses and the horrible treatment of animals BEFORE they are killed. Also there are rumors that you feel "healthier" if you're a vegetarian, and I want to see if that's true.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:54 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:22 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah, I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm considering becoming one. I do agree that humans were made to eat meat, and I don't feel like killing animals for food is bad, because OTHER animals kill other animals for food, so why can't we? It's in out genetic code, too.

The reason I would become vegetarian would be to not patronize the slaughterhouses and the horrible treatment of animals BEFORE they are killed. Also there are rumors that you feel "healthier" if you're a vegetarian, and I want to see if that's true.

Well, do you feel healthier. Though you don't get as much protein as meat-eaters.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm standing right behind you with a knife...
What the heck is wrong with meat? It's common for animals to eat others, (It's a dog-eat-dog world.) so why can't we? I still look down on how they treat them, slaughterhouse? Fattening up? Blech!

I'm probably the most carnivorus person you'll find, so here's a list of meats I've eaten:

Ham
Hamburgers
Hot Dogs
Pork
Bacon
Steak
Chicken
Turkey
Whatever animal is used in Meat Balls.
No Liver though, thankfully.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know man. I just feel weird eating meat. I'm not saying that everyone in the world should be vegetarian (even if that meant I could actually eat at most restaurants), but humans really don't need meat. Other animals do. We have other sources of protein. Also, I really hate fishing. At least with domesticated animals like cows, we're not actually taking them from the wild and lowering their wild population, but with fish, we're lowering their wild population, so other animals that actually rely on fish as a food source don't have as much to eat. Plus, I just love wittle fishies...

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:53 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I see no problem eating meat of any kind. After all, that also happens amongst animals themselves, it's a natural thing. I do frown upon the way animals are prepared for slaughtering though, it's indeed cruel. Rather than coming up with a magic total-protein pill, I'd work on the animals' being in slaughterhouses.

It's actually unhealthy to be strictly a vegetarian, as the diet lacks protein, which may lead to anemia and malnutrition, and meat is our main protein source. That kind of diet has to be controlled regarding the ingestion of proteins and calories. We've seen a few cases at school of people who were extreme vegetarians and ended up in the hospital because they developed physical weakness (I guess that also happened to the frontman of Silverchair?).

I did hear in school that the most recent studies have found that red meat doesn't harm as much as we think/thought, but we haven't gone deeper than that, unfortunately. Either way you need to balance your diet, as red meat still is associated with high cholesterol and heart diseases.

DatVu wrote:
Not only that, but livestock consumes 80% of our agriculture

Is that world-wide or strict to the United States? But I do believe that the main problem around this question is in fact the expansion of human population, which is kind of related to Thomas Malthus' former theory (which was correctly updated to the neo-malthusianism). And we seem to obtain enough from agriculture, and, if I'm not mistaken, well-treated soil won't exactly "wear out", it's a renewable source. Then again, I'm not really up-to-date on the matter, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I do agree with everything else you said (I'd just slightly change the first paragraph as I sorta did, heh), and I'd definetly vote for consuming less meat, but not for only consuming plants. I believe we still need meat, even though there are other protein sources; if we didn't, and considering how meat can harm your health (in particular events of massive ingestion in your life), I'm sure any Medical or Health association would have already announced the news.

I also agree with Frost, specially the "plants are also living creatures" part, because it seems that most vegetarians use the excuse of animal being living creatures their reason to never eat meat (instead of how cruelly the animals are treated when prepared to be consumed, which should be their real reason; it would be mine); just because a carrot doesn't move around and moos, it doesn't mean it is dead.

I disagree with any other argument on this matter that involves religion or anything that is way too philosophical.

And yeah, I like meat.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

but I think some practices, such as raising baby cows and chaining them up so they never exercise, in turn creating more "tender" veal, are absolutely despicable. I think animal rights organizations are generally good things... but they really shouldn't be so preachy and pushy about people who aren't vegetarians.

I'd like to point out that Kosher meat solves all of these problems - The Mashgiach (overseer) insures that the animal is kept good all life, and killed humanely, as opposed to being thrown on a conveyer belt. A quick Slice to the neck from the back cuts all sensory systems, thus allowing no pain. Then, we soak and salt, thus leading to better tasting meat.

If you want really pampered meat, go with japanese kobe beef - banned in america because of competition. The cow is massaged, pampered, and given sakei (Rice Wine). In addition, as opposed to the cows just getting boring grass, they are free roaming, and eat plenty of plants that make the meat taste better - daffodils, sunflowers, roses, baby's breath, etc.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:55 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: On the left side of the street... Take THAT Society!
Oh, THAT'S what kosher means... I luvs kosher hot dogz

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=bulkywaters <- Go

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Edited: Angry Pigeon is aaaaaangry. Deleted, because I wrote this post when I was quite pissed, and I seem to have a knack for offending people unintentionally...

I will keep this part here though: "Again, I repeat myself about the plant thing. Plants have no brains or nerves. They can't see the world around them. They can't feel pain. They don't feel even the most primitive form of emotion. Farming, harvesting, and eating plants is NOT the same thing as killing an animal. Of course, plants do react to certain things such as light, water, etc. (such as how a plant grown next to a window will bend towards the light due to hormones known as auxins), but thats about as complex as it gets. However, even an earthworm has a primitive nerve net. If you chop an earthworm in half, it squirms aggressively, obviously in a world of pain. Even a fish will protect it's eggs, even risking it's own life to do so."

Unoffensive summary of old post: Other animals have feelings just like us, and if you can live without killing someone (and by someone I mean other animals in general), why kill them?

Last edited by Pigeon on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lol. I'm a vegetarian for my religion (Hinduism)

Do you not read other people's posts? You nub.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Why can they kill other animals when we can't?" Three words for you: THEY NEED TO.

So do we. The reason why nobody likes Vegetarians is because they are so obnoxious such as yourself.

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next