It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I hate my teacher 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah, I totally agree too. Foreigners should learn the language of the country they're in, and not be allowed to teach until they know it sufficient. Because you should respect people that are living around you, and because you probably won't get anywhere without knowing it.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:32 am
The Geek
The Geek

You people aren't getting what nick wrote; there is no "official language" for you to force people to learn in the US; you can speak whatever you want. If, for some strange reason, I wished to speak Latin, I could. There is nothing anyone could do to stop me from doing so, and I cannot be descriminated against for that fact.

Also, superwill, watch your language; there's your warning.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

There is no official language of the federal government. Establishing English as the official language of the federal government would only relieve the US from obligation of providing papers or multilingual employees to assist others who do not speak English. However, public education is under the jurisdiction of the state, and some have declared English as the official language of the state government. Even cities reserve the power to establish an official language. In states where English is the official language, all state documents are in English and employees are obligated to speak English fluently. Iowa is one, but I don't know of any others, though I highly doubt New York is too. If you attend a private school, you're SOL in all cases.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You people aren't getting what nick wrote; there is no "official language" for you to force people to learn in the US; you can speak whatever you want. If, for some strange reason, I wished to speak Latin, I could. There is nothing anyone could do to stop me from doing so, and I cannot be descriminated against for that fact.

I didn't mean the US, I meant countries in general.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2